Monday, April 25, 2011

Life App



Despite strong resistance and last minute kicking and screaming I have finally done it. I bought an iPhone. While I originally disliked them and wanted something more simple and durable (my friend has gone through six already), I found their sleek look and versatility too tempting. Upon activating my new phone I was suddenly thrust into a new world where I could text, check my email, browse on Facebook, and surf the web all on something that comfortably fits in my pocket. The possibilities were endless, but is this really a good thing?
                Since purchasing my iPhone I have found it easier to procrastinate, ignore my professors, and spend money on phone applications more than ever before. I have even found myself pulling out my phone mid conversation with another person in front of me (one of my biggest pet peeves).  Having a smart phone is great in a lot of ways, but it is easy to get carried away.
                While I do like the idea that I have a phone, iPod, GPS, calculator, voice recorder, computer, camera, compass, etc. all in one small device, I do wonder what direction smart phones are taking us. These smart phones are making it easier to do anything from finding your way home when lost or even making new friends via Facebook. Will this kind of convenience make us lazy? Will it make us less intelligent? Regarding the simplicity of iPhone’s texting abilities and social media applications, will it make it more difficult to have real life conversations and relationships?
                With all the uses of phones these days and their evolving role in our lives I can’t help but speculate what will come next. An application that alerts us when we need to wash our dog or what kind of outfit to wear to school? Growing up in the world without cell phones pre-middle school I can see the difference in people and I beginning to wonder how far this will go…

6 comments:

  1. I want a Life App. That would be a hell of a lot of fun.

    No, but in all seriousness, I found this as a very interesting post as someone who has struggled to choose between iPhone and Blackberry for quite a while now. When my contract recently came to an end I flirted seriously with switching over to the latest iPhone (on Verizon), but I ended up staying with the Blackberry and just upgrading to a new model.

    I can't say I'm 100% pleased with my decision, but I'm still relatively happy with it. Blackberries are a little less app-crazy, so that might be what you're searching for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point with this post. I recently got the iPhone as well. It was a little daunting at first because I am not technologically savvy at all, but after a while the phone became glued to my hand.You can do so much on the iPhone, but to support your argument, I also think technology like this is super helpful, but can also have to potential to harm society.

    In this day and age more and more people are becoming impatient and afraid of being alone or in the silence. That's because we are so used to instantly getting what we want. At the touch of a button we can get virtually anything instantly online. Now we can even see people through face time. There is so much going on in this small cell phone that we lose touch of real face to face communication. We become so insecure without our phone in hand that we can't even carry a conversation without looking down at our phone ( I must admit that I am guilty of that at times.)
    My fear is what will happen as technology begins to progress even more? Will we lose more and more touch of the world around us? It's interesting to look around campus and see people walking around with their phone in hand walking to class. It's because, like I said before, we are a generation that's too afraid to be alone because we're so used to the business of technology around us all day long.

    Yes the apps are helpful, and I can admit that I've done my homework on my iPhone many times, but I just hope this generation can put our phones down once and a while and smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the dark side! The iPhone pretty ridiculous isn't it? I made the crossover move from Blackberry about a year ago.

    As for where society is heading with all this technology...well, you can read more about my opinion on that matter in my piece "Modern Communication lol jk." Growing up, my parents didn't give me a phone until I needed one, essentially when I got a license. Kids these days are practically born with cell phones attached to their hands. I couldn't count how many times I've been eating in a restaurant and seen tables of adolescents, completely silent, thumbs furiously tapping away at their smartphones. I think as a culture, trying to resist this change is an effort in futility, and barring a major global catastrophe that sends us all back to the stone age, smartphones like the iPhone are both a tremendous life aid as well as a plague.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post. I have an iPhone and when I first got it, I was all about playing on it as much as possible but it's novelty has since worn off. It's not just iPhones though. Crackberries are just as addicting and Droids are on their way up the popularity ladder. I didn't get a phone until 8th grade but my brother in 6th grade just got one. What is the world coming to when an 11 year old has a smart phone? Society is definitely getting less social because of technology. It's pretty sad that instead of talking at a party, most people are on their phones either checking their Facebook or texting someone at the same party. I used to be all about texting and anti-calling but I've realized how lame it is to have entire conversations without speaking a word. I'm interested to see how the young people grow-up with all this technology. They might be smarter but definitely less social.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Nick. Smartphones allow you to access a vast variety of information, at any time, any place. I believe that it has the potential to make people smarter individuals considering you are much more likely to read new information based on a constant connection to the Internet. On the other hand, it also makes everything less personal. Whether it is the actual process of learning, or communicating with others. Many people now are adverse to calling or even talking to people face-to-face as electronic text messages provide some form of anonymity to individual’s interactions. It also changes many conversations into electronic exchanges that are unmemorable and lackadaisical, which can only affect the memories that people take away from important moments in their life (say they took place via text or email). What does this mean for the future generations? My assumption is smarter individuals with lesser social skills who hide behind their smartphones to avoid awkward situations or those that require courage and nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote 90% of the comments for this class on an iPad, wrote an entire post from my iPhone and was able to sync all of it through the WordPress app for both devices. There's something greater to be said to have the power of these devices with us at all times than to be a bit more 'distracted' from other things. I've fallen into the trap of games and Facebook, sure. But, in all, I've only seen my productivity go up since going iPhone.

    ReplyDelete